Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Trash Truck Woes--a Horrific sight (posted originally 10/2006)

As I am writing this post, I am secretly praying that there is someone out there who can relate to this. You see, I have a ritual every Wednesday morning. It's not a planned ritual, but a ritual nonetheless. I am always in my pajamas, usually in the process of eating breakfast, with my hair uncombed, and looking like I just got out of bed because I really have just gotten out of bed. I am minding my own business preparing to go about my merry day-and then my wife hears the sound of the trash truck. For some reason, I never hear it first. It is always my wife who hears it.

And so I run half-crazed from my living room to the bedroom knocking over things in the process. I always first contemplate putting on my slippers, since they are always by my bed and my bed is closer than the closet, but then I remember that my driveway is nothing but rocks and I tell myself that is not a good idea. I then run to the closet and throw on my sandals and run outside in my pajamas (or boxers depending on the time of the year) and drag the green trash bin to the end of the driveway. I pity the neighbors for having to see this sight. It really is a sorry sight. But it happens every single Wednesday morning like clockwork. Sometimes I make it. Sometimes I don't.

I'm not sure if there is a spiritual message in this, but if there is one, I'd sure like to know about it. I thought about relating this to the story of the parable of the 10 virgins preparing to meet the bridegroom, but it didn't seem quite appropriate since the trash truck will be back next week so the opportunity isn't lost forever. Comparing Jesus to a trash truck also seems a bit odd to me. So I am asking you, my blogging friends to give me suggestions if there are any spiritual principles that can be applied to this story that I could use in a future sermon. I feel it is only good and right to seek to find something good out of this since I am already committing a crime against humanity by forcing my neighbors on a weekly basis to see an image that no human being should ever have to see. Please help. I'm seeking a little redemption here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear, Aaron -

Could it be that the trash truck is a reminder of our innate goodness, that voice from within that tells us to do good and serve others. It comes everyday because of the infinite chances we have in our lifetime to be good, every second, minute, hour, every day. It comes everyday as a reminder that when you fail, which we are bound to because we are humans, you have another chance, every Weds. in your case. A chance that you can take whether you are dressed appropriately or not, whether someone is watching or not - anytime is the right time. Maybe you'll never get to doing this task as your wife wants you but I am certain that your child, who is witnessing this, will have his/her own trash truck woes as an adult. He or she could follow your footsteps or be the very opposite of you.
So come Wed. morning, think of your child, and see what happens.

Ploi P.

Aaron D. Taylor said...

That's one way to look at it. Thank you for the insight.