Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Saturday, August 01, 2009

Interview with Rodney Winters, author of "Go into the House"




I met Rodney Winters at the Book Expo of America Convention. We share the same publisher Foghorn Publisher. Rodney's book is about a failed marriage, more specifically, his failed marriage. Most authors like to paint themselves in the most positive light possible, which is why I find what Rodney is doing with his book fascinating. I think it takes a lot of courage to do what Rodney is doing. I also believe his book will help a lot of people. Below is my Q&A with Rodney Winters.

Question: It seems that most authors and speakers write books that paint
themselves in a positive light. You, however, wrote a book about a failed marriage in which you put much of the blame on yourself. What gave you the courage to speak so openly about your failures?

Answer: I am actually a private person, and it was difficult being so transparent, but I feel it is worth it. I have a burden for marriages and hurting people. I've found that men, in particular, don't generally talk about these kinds of struggles, and there are not a lot of resources for discussion. I knew that I was not the only person dealing with these particular issues, and believed my story could help someone else. I believe God is using my pain and failures to bring healing to others.

Question: What is the single greatest lesson you learned about your failed
marriage that you would like to share with the world?

Answer: I would have to say it is that our failures can be used to make us better. Failure is not the end, but the beginning of something else. There is hope and healing for anyone who has failed.

Question: What is your advice for men and women suffering from divorces
initiated by the other spouse?

Answer: Certainly, pray for that other person. God is still able to bring about restoration. If remarriage has occurred, still treat that person with respect and cordiality, especially if there are children involved. Offer forgiveness and accept responsibility for your part in the failure of the marriage. No divorce is totally one-sided.

Question: How did you find the strength to move on with life after your divorce?

Answer: I have to give credit to the Lord for providing the strength. It was a difficult process. God also used other people to encourage me. I was able to see, as I state in my book, that "there is life after the failure". My belief that God has an assignment for me to complete, and some better things for me to receive, was motivation. My children have also been a great source of inspiration for me.

Question: Tell me about your publishing experience and how you are promoting
your book.

Answer: I was blessed to have my book published by the first and only publisher I approached with my manuscript. They were very impressed with my story and agreed that there is no other book like it in the marketplace. The process has been a good learning experience.

I am heavily promoting my book via the internet. I use my website, emails and Facebook. As a minister, I have also been able to promote it as I preach and speak in various venues. I have targeted divorce recovery ministries and churches with marriage/couples ministries. I also want to reach people before they get to the point of divorce. Go Into The House has mass appeal because anyone who has experienced any sort of disappointment can relate to its message. The feedback I've received to date has been tremendous.

For more info on Rodney and his new book, go to www.rodneywinters.com

No comments: