Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Ode to not getting sawn in half

I've had this thought rolling around in my head for a while, but I haven't gotten around to posting it yet. It's a little bizarre, but follow me here.

I've been doing a lot of study on the Biblical prophets lately. One of the things that impresses me the most about Isaiah, Ezekiel, Micah, and Amos is their ability to speak the truth to those in power, in particular as it relates to poverty related issues. One of the reasons why I've focused a significant amount of my attention on poverty related issues lately is because when I read the Biblical prophets, there's no way I can come to any other conclusion that the issues the most important to them (besides idolatry) were nearly all poverty related.

Take for example what Isaiah cried out to the power brokers of his day,
"Woe to those who decree unrighteous decrees, Who write misfortune, which they have prescribed to rob the needy of justice, and to take what is right from the poor of My people, that widows may be their prey, and tht they may rob the fatherless. What will you do in the day of punishment, and in the desolation which will come from afar? To whom will you flee for help? And where will you leave your glory?"


Imagine the chutzpah it took for Isaiah to say that in his day! Then it occured to me, according to tradition, Isaiah was sawn in half and, if you look at Hebrews 11:37, you'll discover that Isaiah wasn't the only one sawn in half!

Then the bizarre thought occured to me.

A couple months back, I and a small group of people met with the representatives of both Senator Bond and Senator McKaskill to discuss poverty related issues that we cared about and how we felt the U.S. government could better address the issues related to extreme global poverty. In both cases, we dealt with community liason representatives who listened carefully to what we had to say, promised to relay the messages to the Senators, and then politely sent us on our way.

The last thing I expected was to be sawn in half that day.

Thank God for democracy!

No comments: