Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Monday, July 16, 2007

Grace abounded much more

There is a verse in Ecclesiastes that says, "He who increases knowledge increases sorrow." The more I learn about global issues such as extreme poverty, human trafficking, the persecution of Christians, religious fundamentalism,the easier it is to throw my hands up in despair and say "What's the use?" The situation becomes even more discouraging when I think about how the name of Christ is being dragged through the mud by T.V. preachers justifying colonialism and oppression in the name of Christian Zionism. At the time of this writing, I am unaware of any respected Pentecostal/charismatic leader in America speaking out against home demolitions and land seizures by Jewish settlers in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. To the contrary, many of my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ are actually promoting this! In the name of Christ! Somewhere, somehow, the Pentecostal/charismatic movement that started out as a beautiful egalitarian movement on Azusa street has decided to turn God into a racist and a land-broker.

As heartbreaking as it is to see the T.V. preachers lead a sizable portion of American Christians on a death march to Armaggedon, I am encouraged when I read the 5th chapter of Romans and discover that in the end, "Where sin abounded, grace abounded much more." I was actually planning on writing a post today about how the effects of Christ's righteousness far outweighs the effects of Adam's sin when it comes to the human race, but, lo and behold, the guest speaker at my church yesterday beat me to it! Now my fellow South County Christian Center readers are going to have to forgive me for reiterating what was so beautifully stated yesterday morning.

Perhaps the greatest comfort to me right now is knowing that in the end, everything that is wrong will be made right. Where sin abounded, grace abounded much more!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaron,
Yesterday's message was so incredibly encouraging that I wouldn't have faulted you for typing up the whole thing and saying the same exact things. It's so easy to get caught up in the power of sin and forget that it doesn't even compare to the power of the BLOOD! Wow, I hope I never forget that.
Pete

Anonymous said...

yeah, don't apologize for reminding us of the reality that is the cornerstone of christianity and every christian's personal redemption. preach it!