Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Thursday, August 17, 2006

So you think you can preach?

I was watching "America's Got Talent" with my wife last night and I made a silly comment that I wonder what would have happened if I had auditioned for the show by preaching a five minute sermon. Of course, I would have been booed off the stage, but the thought occurred to me that preaching is as much of an art form as singing or dancing. It cuts to the human heart and calls for change.

It's unfortunate that we live in a society that says, "Don't preach to me." "You can't force your religion on anybody." A friend at my high school reunion jokingly asked if I had brought bats and clubs with me that night. I replied that I had left them in the trunk of my car. I find it interesting that the Bible says, "God has in due time manifested His Word through preaching." God has blessed me to be friends with many preachers from all over the world. I know red-neck hillbilly preachers in America, low caste preachers in India, persecuted preachers in Pakistan and China, outcast preachers in Muslim dominated West Africa, as well as refined preachers who preach to the upper classes of society. And I can say in my heart-I love them all.

Whether we like it or not, preachers are here to stay because they are the conscience of society. I know that some white men actually can dance, but I can not. So I think I will stick to my preaching profession. Perhaps I'll start a new reality show on Fox called "So you think you can preach?"

1 comment:

niemi said...

you can onlh. you pre4acy preach if you practice what




















you can only preach if you practice what you preach.If you dont walk the walk you cant talk the talk.If you dont talk the talk then how can you walk the walk.You got to take the plank out of your own eye before you can offer to take the splinter out of your brothers eye.If you dont find an uncurrupted version of the word then you are an accidental false teacher.You who teach others do you not teach yourselves or are you just somebody who scracthes icthing ears.are you just a whitewashed tomb cleaned uo on the outside but full of rotteness inside.Do you sacrifice your spiritual life for worldly goods or is your life a living sacrifice forsaking the ways of the world.These are things to consider if you think you can preach. by travers niemi