Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Adding to Scripture

As much as all of us hate to admit it, we tend to read the Bible with pre-conceived ideas and assumptions. When we read Scripture, our brain is not only recording what we are reading, but also recalling every sermon we have ever heard or every book we have ever read regarding a certain passage.

Here is an example from the book of Revelation 20:11-15. Here is how the passage is written in the New King James Version:

"Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works. Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire."

That is what the passage actually says. Here is how I have always read this passage: All who face the Great White Throne Judgment will be cast into the lake of fire. I am sure if you have been a Christian for a while you have heard this interpretation and, like me, you have never challenged it.

But is that what this passage actually says? Read it again. Pay special attention to verse 15. For your convenience, I have provided several translations for this verse so you don't miss the point.

Do you see it? Does this open up doors to possibilities most of us have never considered? I don't know. But what I do know is all of us need to review our assumptions from time to time. I'd rather challenge my assumptions than add to Scripture. I can be wrong. Scripture can not.

No comments: