Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Monday, May 15, 2006

I See Dead People

I was just thinking about the verse in Ephesians chapter 2 verse 1 where Paul talks about the condition of the human soul without Christ and it reminded me of the popular movie The Sixth Sense. Here the Apostle Paul says that those without Christ are "dead in trespasses and sins." I think of the line when the troubled child played by Haley Joel Osment tells his shrink "I see dead people." He then proceeds to tell his new friend (aka..Bruce Willis) that dead people only see what they want to see. I have to admit that I am a little stunned to have discovered a profound spiritual truth in a Hollywood blockbuster film. Given my reticence to any sort of proposed spirituality coming from Hollywood, I am sure that it was by total accident that the film stumbled on a near perfect illustration of the Biblical concept of spiritual death. The creepy dead people in The Sixth Sense were wondering about aimlessly in the afterlife precisely because they only saw what they wanted to see. They defined reality on their own terms, not on the basis of objective reality itself. I can not tell you how many people have told me "I believe that Jesus is the truth for you, but not for me." In other words, "Don't tell me you have a truth that applies to everybody. I have my own truth." It's funny how this logic never seems to apply when you are standing in the middle of the road in front of a moving vehicle. Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes unto the father except through me." Sounds pretty simple to me. I'd rather follow a man who predicted and fulfilled his own death and resurrection than to fashion a tailor-made religion to suit my own needs. I'll take truth over self-deception any day.

No comments: