Watch Aaron in the film Holy Wars

Monday, May 08, 2006

God is bigger than the boogey-man

Last week after coming home from church on a Wednesday night, I came home to a little surprise. Just as I was getting ready to draw the curtain to the master bedroom in our house, I saw that directly in front of my hand was the largest spider I had ever seen inside a house in my entire life. I'm not kidding. This spider was a little monster. After screaming like a girl and calming myself down from a prolonged period of hysteria, I came to my senses with a simple thought. This spider has a lot more reason to be afraid of me than I do of it.

And then I started to get philisophical. If God is everywhere like the Scriptures teach, then this spider exists in the mind of God. If there was no God, then there would be no spider. The Bible says about Christ that "He is before all things and in Him all things consist." (Colossians 1:17) Elsewhere, the Bible says, "For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be the glory forever." (Romans 11:36) There is nothing outside of God and everything that exists exists for the glory of God in one way or another. So what am I really afraid of?

When it's all said and done, there really is only one power in the universe and that is God. As Larry the Cucumber from Veggie Tales so wisely put it, "God is bigger than the boogey-man. He's bigger than Godzilla and the monsters on TV."
There is only one reality-God. Everything else comes out of God and finds its possibility in the mind of God. Anything that seems to contradict this is merely an illusion. Just like the boogey man and the monsters on TV, the illusion might be real, but God is greater than the illusion. With that in mind, I summoned up the courage to end the life of the poor monstrous spider. Moment of silence please.

No comments: